A new training technique that’s becoming popular with serious athletes and newbies alike is heart rate training, which is done on a treadmill. The treadmill is a vital piece of exercise equipment, so much so that it can even be found in most home gyms. It is also the quintessential tool for getting your heart pumping, which is the key to successful heart rate training.
- Short warm up phase involving 5 minutes of slow, steady walking on the treadmill. For beginners, this can be lengthened to 10 minutes.
- 30 second of intense running for experienced runners. 30 seconds of less intense running, or jogging for beginners.
- 4 minutes of light jogging to catch your breath and regroup.
- Repeat these intervals of heavy running and light jogging for 30-45 minutes.
- Cool down phase 10 to 15 minutes long.